May 3, 2010

Ishikawa sets Japan Tour record with round of 58

The 18-year-old Ishikawa tapped in for par on the par-4 18th after his 15-foot birdie try slid inches by the cup. He had 12 birdies in his bogey-free round on the 6,545-yard Nagoya Golf Club course.I always dreamed of getting a score like this but didn't think I would do it so fast,'' Ishikawa said. ``It hasn't really sunk in yet, but I'm sure it will after a few days.''

After opening with rounds of 68, 70 and 71 to fall six strokes behind third-round leader Shigeki Maruyama, Ishikawa birdied nine of the first 11 holes Sunday. He added birdies on Nos. 14-16 and closed with two pars to finish at 13-under 267, five strokes ahead of Hiroyuki Fujita and Australia's Paul Sheehan.

``I got off to a good start for the first time in four rounds, so I told myself not to give up for the title until the end,'' Ishikawa said. ``To my surprise, I found myself making this many birdies. I was in a calm mental state for all 58 strokes.''

No comments: